5.19.2009

Homemade Falafel and Tzatziki Dinner

You may have noticed, but the blogging juices just aren't flowing too freely these days. That's okay. Maybe we'll get to the important stuff sometime soon. In the meantime, I'll keep posting about food and stuff. I hope you'll stick with me :) One thing on the radar is that we're leaving for Guatemala in a few days. More about that before we go. 

Last night I had the pleasure of cooking "family dinner" for our friends and it was a hit. A few folks asked for the recipe, so I thought I'd post it on here. I didn't take any pictures, but you get the idea. It really is an easy recipe, and I tend to like the falafel I make at home a lot better than in restaurants. 
Homemade Falafel and Tzatziki

1 15 oz. can chickpeas
1 handful fresh, flat leaf parsley
1/2 white or yellow onion
1 small shallot
1 clove minced garlic
*1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
cumin
red pepper
salt 
pepper 
2 tablespoons all purpose flour (optional)

1 cup greek yogurt
1/2 cup shredded or pureed cucumber
**2 tablespoons lemon juice
salt
pepper
cumin
red pepper

* I forgot the baking powder last night and it was fine. They will hold together better though if you add it. 
** I totally guessed on these quantities. Work based on the flavors and consistencies you are going for.

In a food processor combine first 10 ingredients (chickpeas to pepper). Pulse until coarsely chopped and combined. You don't want to make hummus. Heat a couple tablespoons olive or vegetable oil in a sautee pan over medium-high heat. Form chickpea mixture into small patties and if you so desire dredge in a little bit of flour before placing in the heated oil. Brown the patties for about 2 minutes on each side until medium-dark brown. Place on a paper towel to cool.

To make the Tzatziki sauce mix yogurt, pureed cucumber, lemon juice, and season to taste. Add yogurt or lemon juice to make it thicker or thinner for your preference. You could also add a little hot sauce if you want.

To serve, slice warm pita bread and stuff the pocket with two falafel patties, your choice of lettuce, tomato, cucumber, sprouts, etc. and top with tzatziki. I served it last night with a simple balsamic pasta salad. Enjoy!!!
 

No comments: