1.26.2012

And you thought there was no such thing . . .

 . . . As wheat-free, cheese-free pizza. 



Well friends, so did I until a few days ago. Then, I attempted the unthinkable and was rewarded for my daring conquest with a delicious, quick, frozen-pizza-craving-satisfying meal.

We're a little more than half way through this detox thing, and it has been really good. We're having fun participating with friends, trying new foods, and enjoying the benefits of putting good stuff in our bodies. I've noticed improvements in my skin and energy, and I've just generally been in a good mood. Don't know if it's related or not, but I'll take it!

We probably do frozen pizzas about once a week in our house. Even before the detox, I had taken to just buying frozen crusts and making my own sauce and toppings with whatever was in the fridge. Some favorite combos have been basil pesto with rotisserie chicken, spinach, mozzarella; sun dried tomato pesto with bacon, kale, and goat cheese; and simple, spicy tomato sauce with chicken sausage, red onions, and mozzarella, and feta. It's different every time. This time I was obviously limited by the no-cheese factor, but I used the same crust we've been using. It's awesome.



Here's the combo we went with this weekend:

Gluten-Free, Cheese-Free "Frozen" Pizza
(sorry for the not-at-all precise measurements)

Preheat oven according to the directions on the crust.

Sauce:
1/2 cup fresh grape tomatoes
1 small handful julienned sun dried tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 small handful almonds
salt to taste
a few pinches fresh or dried herbs of your choice (optional)
red-pepper flakes (optional)
olive oil

Combine the first seven ingredients in a food processor. Start pulsing them, adding the olive oil slowly  until you have reached the desired consistency. I like mine fairly thick.

Toppings:
Fresh Spinach
Shredded rotisserie chicken

Spread the sauce over the crust. (It doesn't matter if the crust is frozen or thawed.) Cover the sauce with a layer of spinach, then top with the chicken. Bake until the edges of the crust are golden and the spinach has wilted. You could also try any combination of greens, onions, peppers, sausage, mushrooms . . . go crazy!

I mean, you are making gluten-free, cheese-free pizza after all.

No comments: