1.28.2012

Brown-Rice Spinach Spaghetti with Chicken & Spicy Tomato Sauce with Capers

I love capers. Anyone else?

(I'm kind of depressed about how crappy these food pictures are, but I pretty much only cook in the evening  during the week, so there is not natural light to work with. Any easy tips?)


This was another recipe that helped us make it through week 3 without even feeling like we were eating detox food. I am beginning to see how this could be an 80/20 (80% eating like this, 20% eating whatever) lifestyle after the official 4-weeks is over. Here's the recipe!

Brown-Rice Spinach Spaghetti with Chicken & Spicy Tomato Sauce with Capers

3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp or more red pepper flakes
1/2 yellow or white onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp salt
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 small can of tomato sauce
1-2 Tbsp capers
shredded rotisserie chicken breast meat
brown rice spaghetti

Get water boiling to cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile heat olive oil in a sauce pan. Add red repper flakes, onions, and garlic to the oil. Cook until the vegetables are translucent and soft. Stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil and then turn it down to a simmer. Reduce until it is the thickness you would like. Add the capers and chicken. When the pasta is aldente, transfer it directly from the pot to the sauce with a slotted pasta spoon. Turn off heat and toss until everything is incorporates. Serve immediately and enjoy!

I think this sauce would also work well with seafood. Olives would be a nice touch as well,  but Keith hates them :)

2 comments:

rebekah said...

I think they look great! But, if you want advice maybe try an external flash, or shooting in RAW mode and editing in Photoshop?

Melissa said...

I LOVE capers! This dish looks great...

And have you seen my food pictures? Oh my. Yours look like you hired a professional :) Maybe I should hire you as my full time blog photographer and then we can hang out all the time.

Love you.