2.23.2009

I want to live a simple life.


I have recently passed two mini-milestones. One was sometime in early January, my one year anniversary of living in Birmingham (love it!). And on Friday, my one year anniversary of working at my current job (not quite as exciting.) Anyway, what I'm getting at, is that though the Lord is constantly teaching me new things, and opening new doors in my life . . . it seems time to move past the title of this blog, ".into.the.new."

Since our early dating days, simplicity has always been something that Keith and I have really valued. To me it represents something a little counter-cultural, simplicity in how we spend our time: in deep relationship with the Lord, each other, and our family and community, being creative and thoughtful, appreciating beauty, leaving room in our hearts and schedules for compassion. And how we spend our money: with prudence, seeking to be obedient and faithful, in ways that don't trample on "the lease of these," and trying to build up things of relational and eternal value rather than material. 

It is hard to live a simple life these days. But we're trying, with a hearty dose of grace and peace.

So, with that said, today marks the dawn of a new blog title, something so small and insignificant, but I wanted you to know the reason behind it. My sweet and talented friend Erin, is helping me design a new banner too, notice the "beta version." Also, hopefully you will see more posting from my partner in this simple life, Keith! So here's to living a simple life.

The Weepies say it better:

Can I get up in the morning, put the kettle on
Make us some coffee, say hey to the sun
Is it enough to write a song, and sing it to the birds
They'd hear just the tune, not understand my love for words

But you would hear me and know...
That I want to live this
I want to live
I want to live a simple life

I dreamed you first, but not so real
And every day since I found you, such moments we steal
Like little fields, we rub our hands
And hold our hearts between them

Move on, move on, time is accelerating
Drive on, all night, traffic lights and one ways
Move on, move on parking violations waiting
Turn off the car, breathe the air, let's stay here

I'll kiss you awake, and we'll have time
To know our neighbors all by name, and every star at night
We'll weave our days together like waves, and particles of light


2 comments:

Matt Francisco said...

Oh! Are you going to invite Paris Hilton & Nicole Richie to be a part of your blog now? Or did I miss something? Are things about to start getting racy around me? Perhaps I should blogread elsewhere...

rebekah said...

Listening to the song again. Love the Weepies. Love simple lives. Love bread baking. Love knitting. Love the spirit you and Keith have together.